This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend - at no additional cost to you! Thank you for supporting this blog!
Instant Pot Bread Pudding is a life changing treat. Ah I just love it so much. Warm, dense, sweet, cinnamony, and beautiful!
Bread pudding is one of many things on my list of favorite desserts that my husband thinks only elderly people enjoy.
Rice pudding (try my vanilla bean OR dairy/
The Instant Pot Cuts Time
This recipe works in the Instant Pot because it originally cooks in a water bath, just like creme brulee or cheesecake. The Instant Pot is perfect for these dishes because it’s cooking with pressure and steam.
This dish usually takes 60 minutes in the oven plus prep time, but it’s done in about 45 start to finish in the Instant Pot. The flavors of the cinnamon with butter rum sauce is AMAZING. I admit, I ate too much of it for breakfast the last two days. Oops!
- The Best Avocado Toast
- Instant Pot Yogurt + FAQ (2-Ingredients, Plain or Sweet!)
- Air Fryer Eggs
- Instant Pot Oatmeal, 5 Ways!
- Keto Chia Pudding
- Instant Pot Brown Sugar Breakfast Quinoa
- 2-layer Pumpkin Yogurt – Noosa Inspired
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Healthy Overnight Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Egg Bites with Bacon and Cheddar
- Air Fryer Sausage Patties
- Air Fryer Bacon
Grand America Hotel Bread Pudding Instant Pot-ified and my call with the Utah Liquor Store
The original recipe comes from the Grand America hotel, the premier luxury hotel in Salt Lake City. It’s where the NBA teams stay, and where all the fanciest events are held.
I’ve actually never had it at the hotel before, but I LOVE their brunch buffet and all the food and desserts I’ve had there.
Grand America’s recipe calls for about two tablespoons of rum, but since I don’t drink, I was a little confused about where I might get some.
I thought, “Oh! those little tiny airplane bottles would be perfect!” because it would only be an ounce or so of liquid. I had no intention of buying a large bottle of liquor just to use a tablespoon of it.
I thought it would be nice to get those tiny little bottles of cooking (for flavor- the alcohol cooks out).
I called the liquor store and tried describing what I was looking for… The associate helping me cut me off quite abruptly and said with a stale, annoyed voice,
He must get a lot of people calling who have no idea what they’re talking about HA! I ended up getting imitation rum extract from the store and it was actually really good!
It lended such a unique flavor- I highly recommend using the rum or rum extract instead of substituting or omitting.
No More Moldy Berries
This bread pudding recipe is so yummy served with whipped cream and berries.
Don’t forget to try my Everlasting Berry Hack to keep your berries fresh for weeks! No more mold on those precious berries!
Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
End a yummy meal (or start one!) with a delicious Instant Pot Dessert.
- Instant Pot S’mores Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Creme brulee
- Homemade Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Instant Pot) | Baby Shower Food Ideas
- Dairy Free Coconut Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes For Two
- Instant Pot Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot White Chocolate Candy Cane Creme Brulee
- Easy Air Fryer + Instant Pot Donuts
Don’t forget to pin this post!
Instant Pot Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce
- 6-8 oz. Stale/dry thick cut french bread or croissants about 8 slices, diced into medium cubes
- 1 ½ C. Heavy Cream
- ½ C. Sugar
- 1 ½ t. Cinnamon
- ½ T Vanilla Bean Paste or pure vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
Butter Rum Sauce
- ⅓ C. Sugar
- 3 ½ T. Apple Juice
- 3 ½ T. Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ C. Heavy Cream
- ¾ t. Rum Extract or Rum
- ⅓ C. Unsalted Butter
- ¼ t. Vanilla Bean Paste or pure vanilla extract
- Cut and place the bread cubes In a large bowl, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream, sugar, and cinnamon over medium heat until hot but not steaming. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk eggs. Slowly temper the egg mixture by adding about ⅓ hot cream mixture and whisking continuously. Slowly add the egg mixture back to the rest of the heavy cream mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the cream mixture through a strainer over the bread pieces to remove any lumps. Fold the cream into the bread and allow all the pieces to get coated. Be careful not to over mix and create a slimy mush. Soak for about 5 minutes.
- Divide the bread mixture into 4-6 small ramekins, or 2, 6 inch cake pans. Cover each pan tightly with foil.
- Place the trivet and 1 cup water in theInstant Pot, and stack the ramekins or bakings pans evenly. If using the cake pans, use a trivet, two chopsticks, or a pressure cooking sling/silicone steamer to create a gap between the two cake pans. Do not stack the two cake pans directly on top of each other without something separating them.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes on manual high pressure (30 min for ramekins, more time for larger cooking pans), and then allow a 5-10 minute natural pressure release. Then, release the rest of the pressure and carefully remove from the Instant Pot.
- Enjoy with berries, whipped cream, and butter rum sauce!
Butter Rum Sauce
- Combine sugars, apple juice, and heavy cream in a small sauce pan and stir to combine. If using rum, also add that to the mixture at this time. If using extract, add it in step two. Bring to a boil for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and add extracts. Stir to combine.
- Add butter in one tablespoon pieces to the sauce, stirring constantly. If possible, use an immersion blender to blend the sauce and butter, or let it cool slightly and blend in a blender or Magic Bullet.
- Store covered in the refrigerator or in a mason jar and enjoy with Instant Pot Bread Pudding, over ice cream, french toast, pancakes, waffles, or as a dip with fruit.