Instant Pot Pumpkin Rice Pudding is the perfect fall treat! It’s sweet, creamy, pumpkiny, and has the perfect amount of spice!
The Best Rice Pudding Recipe
This recipe starts with the base of my most prized Instant Pot dessert recipe. My kids and I love this new Instant Pot Pumpkin Rice Pudding recipe for fall! It’s warm and comforting without being too sweet.
I almost think it tastes very similar to pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie in and of itself is not super sweet, but has great pumpkin flavor and lots of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
After buying an Instant Pot, this recipe became leaps and bounds easier and faster!
Dairy Free Coconut Rice Pudding
If you want a lighter rice pudding that’s every bit as delicious, try my Instant Pot Coconut Rice Pudding that uses coconut milk and another secret coconut ingredient you’re gonna LOVE!
Ingredients for instant pot PUmpkin Rice Pudding
- Long Grain White Rice
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
The secret to the best rice pudding (and not the slimy stuff you get at the store), is to use a really good quality cream and vanilla. My preference is Vanilla Bean Paste, which makes literally ALL your desserts taste AMAZING like it was made in a fancy bakery.
It transforms cookies and syrup into heaven. I have this giant 32oz bottle. Unfortunately, the price of vanilla beans has skyrocketed due to a shortage and it’s a little steep. You should try this smaller bottle if you’d like to try it.
Try it in my Instant Pot Bread Pudding recipe!
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
You can buy pumpkin pie spice, but it’s really just a combination of a bunch of spices you probably already have. Plus, I doubt you’ll use more than 2 teaspoons a year (if that!)
I prefer to make my own. I use a recipe like this one.
How to make Instant pot Pumpkin Rice Pudding
It’s simple to make this quick dessert, thanks to the Instant Pot.
- Dump the water and rice into the liner and cook. The cook time for regular long grain rice is 3 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- After opening the lid, fluff the rice and add the sugars, pumpkin spice, and pumpkin. The sugar will melt into the rice and dissolve.
- Add a about half of the milk to the mixture.
- Set the Instant Pot to low Saute.
- Whip two eggs into one cup of milk.
- While whisking the hot rice pudding, slowly pour in the egg mixture to temper them in. That way, you don’t have any scrambled egg chunks in your rice pudding.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, constantly whisking, to thicken.
- Add heavy cream and butter.
- Add vanilla bean paste (pure vanilla extract is okay to substitute) and top with cinnamon.
Leftover Rice Pudding
The pudding will thicken as it cools. Because it will be thicker the next day, you can always add a splash of milk when you reheat the rice pudding.
HOW TO SERVE INSTANT POT pumpkin RICE PUDDING
Serve this dish hot, or cold! I prefer it warm but it’s also delicious straight from the fridge cold. Just don’t forget a new sprinkling of cinnamon on top of your Instant Pot Pumpkin Rice Pudding!
How long does homemade rice pudding last?
Homemade rice pudding (made on the stove top or Instant Pot) lasts for a maximum of one week in the refrigerator, if you can get it to last that long!
Pumpkin Rice Pudding Condensed Milk
If you prefer to use sweetened condensed milk in your pumpkin rice pudding recipe, use 3/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk in place of the white and brown sugar.
REFRIGERATE RICE PUDDING? HOW TO STORE RICE PUDDING
Rice Pudding should be stored in the fridge when you’re not eating it. The rice pudding may be a little thicker when you take it out of the fridge, but all you need to do is add a splash of milk before serving or microwaving.
Can homemade rice pudding be frozen?
Freezing rice pudding is not recommended, but it can be done. The rice pudding may separate and not be as creamy once warmed up. It’s so easy to do in the Instant Pot, I recommend making it fresh every time 🙂
If you do want to freeze rice pudding, pour the cooled rice pudding into a large ziploc bag or freezer-safe tupperware container. Remove as much air as possible, then lay flat evenly to freeze in a thin layer. Thaw the pudding overnight or by breaking off small chunks and microwaving/reheating on the stove.
Do you eat rice pudding cold or hot?
There is not right or wrong way to eat rice pudding. I prefer to eat rice pudding warm, topped with cinnamon. But I eat it cold out of the fridge the next day. Try it both ways and see which you prefer!
Is homemade rice pudding fattening?
Rice pudding is not a diet food. It contains white rice, sugar, milk, cream, and sometimes butter. This recipe does not contain dairy, but it is not low fat. Rice pudding is high in carbs and comfort and is a delicious treat!
How do you thicken rice pudding?
There are a couple of ways to thicken rice pudding. You may cook it down and reduce the liquid so it is thicker. This method may make your rice softer than my preferred method, which is to thicken using eggs.
Remember that the rice pudding will absorb the liquid during refrigeration, so the rice pudding will always be thicker the next day.
It’s important to temper the eggs into the hot rice pudding (whisk into milk and then whisk the milk mixture into the hot mixture), so you don’t get scrambled eggs in your dessert!
Refrigerate Rice Pudding? How to Store Rice Pudding
Rice Pudding should be stored in the fridge when you’re not eating it. Freezing rice pudding is not recommended. The rice pudding may be a little thicker when you take it out of the fridge, but all you need to do is add a splash of milk before serving or microwaving.
Pumpkin Rice Pudding with Leftover Rice
You can make this Instant Pot pumpkin rice pudding recipe with leftover rice! In a small pot or the Instant Pot on low saute, dissolve the sugar with 1/2 cup of the milk. Once the milk is warm and sugar is dissolved, add the rice and stir until warmed through.
From there, follow the directions as written in the recipe by adding the rest of the milk, eggs, and other ingredients. You may need to add slightly more liquid to compensate for the moisture that is lost with leftover rice.
Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
End a yummy meal (or start one!) with a delicious Instant Pot Dessert.
- S’mores Cheesecake
- Homemade Carrot Cake
- Instant Pot Classic Cheesecake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Instant Pot) | Baby Shower Food Ideas
- Chocolate Lava Cakes For Two
- Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding
- Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Creme Brulee
- Easy Air Fryer + Instant Pot Donuts
Don’t Forget to Pin this Post for Instant Pot Pumpkin Rice Pudding!
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tablespoon White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla
- To the Instant Pot, add Water, Salt, and Rice (in that order). Do not stir the rice.
- Lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing, and cook on manual high pressure for 3 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural pressure release, then release the rest of the pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, then add sugars, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and stir to combine until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Set the Instant Pot to Normal Saute, then add 1/2 C. Milk and stir.
- Crack two eggs into the remaining 1 cup of milk and whisk completely.
- With the rice pudding simmering, whisk or stir the rice pudding rapidly while slowly pouring the egg mixture into the rice pudding.
- Cook on low saute for about 5 minutes or until thick (or desired consistency). Turn off the heat, add the vanilla, butter, and cream.
- Enjoy with a sprinkle of cinnamon!
- To make this Pumpkin Rice Pudding recipe dairy free, substitute coconut milk or almond milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Organic 100% Pumpkin, 15 Ounces (Pack of 12)
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste, with gift box, 32 ounces
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 36gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 8g