*This post may contain affiliate links. This means as an Amazon Associate and affiliate for other products, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect side dish for your Valentines day or Thanksgiving dinner. I love the addition of the cinnamon brown sugar pecan streusel for that smooth plus nutty texture.
My sweet potato casserole recipe is inspired by Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, one of our favorite special occasion restaurants. Just give me a ribeye steak with extra butter and I’m one happy girl.
Copycat Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole is one of my
This is also one of my favorite sides to order at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, though I think mine is even better! It has a soft and smooth sweet potato filling, topped with a hearty and crunchy pecan streusel.
If you are making this delicious casserole, the Instant Pot makes it so much easier! The potatoes cook hands off and are perfectly soft and ready to mash up with butter, sugar, and vanilla. Yum.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
I love using my Instant Pot to cook up sweet potatoes because they take so long in the oven, and it heats up the whole kitchen! Pressure cooking sweet potatoes also makes the skins just fall right off!
If you don’t want to make such a luxurious dish like this, just cook up the sweet potatoes like this and you’ll have a healthy steamed sweet potato. I try to eat veggies for breakfast daily, so I always love doing meal prep with Instant Pot Sweet Potato, Instant Pot Broccoli, and Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs.
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
If you prefer the flavor of a baked sweet potato in your sweet potato casserole, you can bake your sweet potatoes in the air fryer without using space and time in the oven!
Air frying the sweet potatoes lets them caramelize even more, which is a really yummy way to add more flavor.
Check out my Air Fryer Sweet Potato post.
Instant Pot Steamer Basket
My favorite steamer basket is the perfect tool for this dish because I can stack up my potatoes in there and quickly take it out after it’s done cooking. I used to just stack them on top of the trivet, but they are so soft after cooking that they would oftentimes fall apart when I was taking them out with tongs.
I also recommend using my favorite steamer basket when making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and Instant Pot Salt Potatoes. When cooking them skin on, the water ends up being dirty, muddy, and a little icky (even if I’ve scrubbed them). I like keeping them totally separated in the steamer basket. That way, I don’t have to fish them out individually.
How to make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
This recipe requires two steps, so it’s a bit more involved. Here’s the process:
- Wash and add the sweet potatoes into the Instant Pot with 1 cup water. No need to poke the potatoes. You can put them in a steamer basket, or put them on top of the trivet.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 20-35 minutes. Super big, heavy ones will need to cook more like 40 minutes. Those suckers are thick and there’s nothing more disappointing than opening up the Instant Pot and sticking a fork into a hard potato.
- Make the streusel by combining flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon, salt, and lots of butttaaaa.
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the Instant Pot and remove the skins. Pressure cooking will make the skins fall right off!
- Dump the water out and wash the liner.
- Add the butter, vanilla, sugar, salt, and cinnamon to the pot to melt and dissolve the sugar.
- Add the sweet potatoes back to the butter and whip them up using a hand mixer.
- Blend in four beaten eggs to the sweet potato mixture. This adds some bulk and will help lighten the mixture. Instead of a super dense texture, the eggs help give it more of a lighter texture.
- Pour the mixture into a pan and cover the whole dang thing with so much streusel. Don’t be shy. You don’t want a single piece to get left out! I spread it really generously.
- The photo in this post got like an extra 1/2 cup more streusel after the picture was taken because I just needed to give the beautiful orange filling a chance to peek out!
- Bake for about 45 minutes at 375, or until the streusel is golden and fragrant. The streusel bakes into this beautiful crust layer on top, and it. is. divine.
- The sweet potato mixture may be made in advance up to a day or two. When you’re ready to cook, take it out of the refrigerator and come to room temperature for about an hour.
Sweet Potato Casserole for Breakfast or Dinner!
This fancy side dish is good for dinner warm, or even cold as breakfast dessert. As in, eating desserts that somehow socially pass for breakfast. (Donuts, cinnamon rolls, bread pudding, pancakes, waffles, crepes, rice pudding, , cake, etc.)
Oh, you don’t do leftover cake for breakfast? Just me?
Pecan Streusel for Sweet Potato Casserole
Last question: marshmallows or no marshmallows on sweet potatoes? I’m on team STREUSEL! My recipe is a super thick and crisp topping, chock full of pecans and butter! It’s not wimpy at all.
I made a little too much (again, not complaining!), but I’m going to save it and use it as a streusel topping for muffins later. Enjoy!
Lisa Childs is the food blogger behind Tried, Tested, and True. Join the hundreds of thousands of people each month that learn from Lisa-
Subscribe to her website, follow her on Instagram at @tried_tested_true, follow her on Pinterest, and find her on Youtube at Tried Tested and True. She is passionate about giving home cooks confidence using their Instant Pots. Make sure to sign up for our email newsletter to hear from personally from her weekly! Learn more about Lisa.
- 1 cup water
- 5-6 large sweet potatoes I used 4 extra large ones and measured about 8 cups, cooked
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 4 Eggs, beaten
Brown Sugar Pecan Streusel
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Flour
- 1.5-2 Cup Pecans chopped
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Pour water into the Instant Pot .
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes and remove any long roots. Add potatoes to the steamer basket, and place the basket in the Instant Pot. Alternatively, place them on the trivet.
- Lock the lid, turn the knob to SEALING, and cook on manual high pressure for 30 minutes. I used 4 extra large sweet potatoes and cooked for 35 minutes. One of the potatoes that was extra thick needed just a couple minutes in the microwave to finish cooking, so I would do 40 minutes for extra large sweet potatoes.. Alternatively, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and stack cut side up. Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Prepare streusel in the last couple minutes of pressure cooking by combining all dry ingredients in a large bowl or Tupperware. Melt butter in a separate dish, and then combine the butter with dry ingredients by stirring or shaking in the Tupperware with lid.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- After pressure cooking, release all pressure by doing a quick pressure release. Or, you can allow a full natural pressure release and leave the potatoes in the Instant Pot as long as you need until you can get to them.
- Lift the basket out of the instant Pot and place on a plate or towel. Drain the dirty water out of the Instant Pot and rinse. Return the liner to the Instant Pot base and add the butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Using a paring knife, carefully peel the sweet potatoes and return them back to the Instant Pot on top of the butter. The residual heat will melt the butter. Using a hand mixer, blend sweet potatoes until fluffy and creamy. Add the beaten eggs while mixing to combine. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray, and spread the mixture evenly. Add a generous layer of the streusel topping and bake for 30-35 minutes until the streusel is firm and golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes to set, and enjoy.
- The sweet potato mixture may be made in advance up to a day or two. When you’re ready to cook, take it out of the refrigerator and come to room temperature for about an hour. Top with the streusel, and bake for 40-50 minutes or until heated through and the streusel is golden. If it starts getting too browned, place a piece of foil on top while it finishes cooking through.
- Make sure you buy the orange sweet potatoes, not the tan colored yams that live right by them in the grocery store. Sometimes I scratch a tiny bit of the skin off to double check. If you don’t want to use your hand mixer in the Instant Pot, you can do everything in a large bowl after pressure cooking the sweet potatoes.
- This recipe may be halved and baked in an 8x8 or 9x9 dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
717 Industries Steamer Basket, Stainless Steel Mesh Strainer Compatible Instant Pot Other Pressure Cookers, Fits 6 & 8 Quart Pots (Grey Silicone Handle)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 6gSugar: 34gProtein: 7g