This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend - at no additional cost to you! Thank you for supporting this blog!
Instant Pot Country Style Ribs from fresh or frozen only need four flexible ingredients! Simply dump everything into the Instant Pot for a flavorful, mouthwatering, and effortless meal.
INSTANT POT COUNTRY STYLE PORK RIBS
Making country style ribs in the Instant Pot is super easy and quick! Usually, you’d have to cook country style pork ribs in the oven or slow cooker for hours.
4 INGREDIENTS FROM FRESH OR FROZEN
Country style ribs are typically very inexpensive. This is a great recipe to feed a lot of people for cheap!
Dump all the ingredients into the Instant Pot, walk away, and have dinner ready in less than an hour!
You can use this method to make the most amazing traditional Instant Pot Ribs as well! I love both recipes, but country style ribs are boneless.
Before I teach you how to cook country style pork ribs, let me answer a few frequently asked questions.
CAN YOU BBQ IN AN INSTANT POT?
No, you can’t barbecue like you would be able to on a traditional grill, but you can prepare many modified BBQ dishes in the Instant Pot.
The best part is that the Instant Pot cooks in a fraction of the time, compared to grilling, smoking, or slow cooking! It’s the quickest way to satisfy your BBQ craving.
INSTANT POT BBQ RECIPES
Check out some of my best Instant Pot BBQ Recipes:
- Instant Pot Frozen BBQ Chicken Breasts
- The Best Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken
- 4 Ingredient Instant Pot Country Style Ribs (From Fresh or Frozen)
- Instant Pot Chicken Legs
WHAT ARE COUNTRY STYLE RIBS?
Fun fact: country style pork ribs aren’t actually ribs! They are thick blade steaks cut from the loin or shoulder area. Sometimes they include part of the upper rib bone, but often they’re completely boneless.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPARE RIBS AND COUNTRY STYLE RIBS?
For this recipe, I purchase country style ribs. Country style pork ribs are like long, thick steak slices, and usually boneless. I find they have much more meat than other rib cuts. Perfect for feeding a hungry family or crowd!
SELECTING COUNTRY STYLE RIBS
Country style ribs are not only very affordable, but also readily available! I usually select a four pound package from the meat department at my local grocery store. Look in the pork section.
They are cut into long chunks, resembling ribs. When in doubt, ask the butcher at the counter!
Sometimes there are bone-in country style ribs, but I use boneless for this recipe.
INSTANT POT BONELESS PORK RIBS
I always use boneless country style pork ribs for this recipe! These are the perfect ribs to serve for less mess. Boneless pork ribs in the Instant Pot are fall-apart-tender and easy to eat with a fork.
I have had some readers ask in the comments about using bone-in country style ribs. If you selected ribs with bones, I recommend adding an additional ten minutes to the cook time.
Now that you’ve successfully selected your boneless pork ribs, let me teach you how to cook country style pork ribs!
How to cook Instant Pot country style ribs
This easy method is the quickest and easiest way to make Instant Pot country style ribs.
- Dump the ribs (fresh or frozen) into the Instant Pot, add your favorite rib rub or seasoning, bbq sauce, and your favorite soda. (I use root beer.)
- Lock the lid and cook on Manual High for 35-45 minutes, with a natural pressure release (about ten minutes.)
- After the natural pressure release, you can totally just take the meat out and eat it like that. But they are best served with an extra slather of bbq sauce to make the ribs nice and sticky!
If you want to go the extra mile, baste the ribs with more sauce and broil until they’re lightly crisped. However, when I’m in a hurry, I like to just serve as-is. 🙂
INSTANT POT COUNTRY STYLE RIBS WITH BEER
The great thing about this recipe is that the ingredients are interchangeable! Use your favorite barbecue sauce or rub.
The cooking liquid is flexible too! I recommend using your favorite soda or cola, such as coke. Typically, I use root beer.
Readers have successfully used beer, wine, diet soda, broth, or apple juice!
CAN BBQ SAUCE COUNT AS THE LIQUID IN AN INSTANT POT?
Unlike many slow cooker recipes, BBQ sauce will NOT work as the liquid in an Instant Pot. Due to the high sugar content in BBQ sauce, if you add it directly to the pot, it will burn. That’s why this recipe calls for additional liquid, like your favorite soda.
FROZEN COUNTRY STYLE PORK RIBS INSTANT POT
Pressure cooker country ribs can cook from fresh or frozen! Don’t change the cook time if they are individually frozen.
For a large frozen block, I would add about ten extra minutes. If you open the lid and they are still not cooked, tear apart the large pieces and cook for a few extra minutes. Always check meat with this superior cooking thermometer before serving!
HOW LONG TO COOK ONE POUND COUNTRY STYLE RIBS IN INSTANT POT?
This recipe card calls for four pounds of country style pork ribs. However, I have tested a smaller amount for this recipe in my cookbook I Love My Instant Pot – Cooking for One Cookbook.
My cookbook recipe calls for about 12 ounces, or four pieces, boneless country style ribs. The cook time is 35 minutes on Manual High, with a 15 minute natural pressure release.
I recommend the same cook time as above for one pound country style ribs.
What to serve with country style ribs
My friend told me just this week that she’d never had country style ribs before! She didn’t know how to make them or what to serve them with. This inspired me to dig up this recipe from my archives and write this post for her!
Country Style Ribs with BBQ sauce go well with anything you’d normally serve at a barbeque, such as beans, potatoes, or bread.
You could even take a chunk of meat and put it in a hotdog or hamburger bun! Here’s a couple ideas for some easy sides:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Bacon Green Beans
- Colcannon Recipe
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- On a Strawberry BBQ Salad (replace the chicken with ribs… yum!)
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Instant Pot Salt Potatoes from Syracuse/Upstate, New York
BEST INSTANT POT ONE POT RECIPE
The greatest thing about these Instant Pot Country Style Ribs is that you just dump and go! If you don’t want to use a prepared sauce or rub, definitely use your own. The meat is fall-apart tender and so deliciously easy!
- 4 pounds boneless country style ribs
- 3 tablespoons rib/bbq rub or seasoning
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce (or your favorite)
- 3/4 cup root beer, cola, or Dr. Pepper (not diet)
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and lightly toss with tongs so the meat has seasoning all over it.
- Lock the Lid, turn the knob to Sealing, and cook on the Meat/Stew setting for 35 minutes. If you do not have this setting, use the Manual or Pressure Cook button. For frozen, cook for 40 minutes with a 15 minute natural pressure release.
- After the 35 minute pressure cook, allow a 15 minute natural pressure release. If you don't have time for this, you don't have to do it, but it will help tenderize the meat.
- Release the rest of the pressure, if any, and remove the lid.
- Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot. Baste the ribs with more sauce and enjoy! You can also baste the ribs with more sauce and broil in the oven or air fryer for about 5 minutes to get a little crispier.
- You may use apple juice, beer, broth, or wine in place of the soda.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1569Total Fat: 88gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 52gCholesterol: 464mgSodium: 1581mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 57gProtein: 130g