This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend - at no additional cost to you! Thank you for supporting this blog!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is a gameday staple! Using Frank’s Hot Sauce, cream cheese, homemade ranch seasoning, and pepperjack and cheddar cheeses, it’s the perfect Instant Pot appetizer to serve anytime. Slow Cooker instructions included.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a super creamy, cheesey, and easy dip to make that is also keto and low carb.
You can whip the whole thing up in the Instant Pot, but I prefer to put mine into an oven-proof dish and bake or air fry to get some melty cheese on top!
I’ve also been known to spoon some of this Instant Pot Buffalo chicken dip into a lettuce cup for a a quick and simple lunch.
If you like healthy quick lunches like this, then I have another great recipe for you to try! Have you tried my SUPER easy Taco lettuce wrap recipe?
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
- 8-12 oz Chicken breast
- Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Garlic Salt
- Soy Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Pepperjack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream or Cottage Cheese
- Ranch Seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- Things to dip into the dip! (Crackers, cucumbers, carrots, celery, chips, etc.)
Frank’s Buffalo Chicken Dip
The only hot sauce I use and recommend is Frank’s Hot Sauce. You can purchase this sauce in a variety of spice levels, but I always opt for the original, hot buffalo flavor.
They do sell a “Buffalo Wing” sauce that usually has a yellow or light orange label and the sauce is more orange than red. This is because it’s already been diluted with something to make it less spicy (usually butter is used to lessen the heat).
You can use whatever hot wing sauce you like, and maybe even experiment with other sauce flavors that pair well with cream cheese and chicken!
The more sauce you use, the spicier the dip will be.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in Instant Pot
This recipe is very simple- First, you’ll add a chicken breast into the Instant Pot with some water, hot sauce, soy sauce, and some garlic salt.
Cook the chicken until it’s shreddable (I use 20-25 minutes with a 15-20 minute natural pressure release).
I remove the cooking liquid and and shred the chicken up (tip below), adding back any of the cooking liquid as needed to keep the chicken moist.
After that, you’ll add in the rest of the ingredients and mix it together! You’ll want to melt everything together, so if necessary, turn on the Saute function to warm things through.
You can serve this buffalo chicken dip straight from the Instant Pot, or transfer to a dish and broil it for a couple of minutes with extra cheese!
And that’s how to make buffalo chicken dip in the Instant Pot! Super simple and easy!
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
Buffalo Chicken Dip contains cream cheese, which does tend to separate a little bit after freezing and thawing. This dip is definitely freezable, but you’ll want to be advised the texture may change slightly after thawing.
Make ahead buffalo chicken dip
This dip refrigerates really well, so you can make it a day or two before you need it and keep it tightly covered in the fridge.
When you are ready to eat, heat it through in the microwave, or bake it in the oven until warmed and the cheese is melted.
If you are short on time, you can even just use a can of chicken breast and mix everything together and warm it up!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip in Crock Pot
If you prefer to make this buffalo chicken dip in a slow cooker, you have two options depending on if you’re using raw or cooked chicken.
Crock Pot buffalo Chicken Dip with Precooked chicken
If your chicken is already cooked and shredded (about 2 cups worth), add all the ingredients into the Crock Pot and cook on low for 1-2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes until warmed through.
Crock Pot buffalo Chicken Dip with Raw chicken
If you’re starting with a raw chicken breast, place the chicken, water, soy sauce, hot sauce, and garlic salt into the Crock Pot and let cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken is shreddable.
Remove the cooking liquid and shred the chicken, then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, mix together, and cook on low for about 30-60 minutes or until everything is melted and heated through.
Tip to quickly shred chicken
After I make chicken in the Instant Pot, I shred it in seconds by using my hand mixer. I usually add a little bit of the cooking liquid to keep it moist. Once you do it this way, you’ll never go back!
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
If you like this recipe, add it to a salad like my strawberry bbq chicken salad using frozen chicken. You can read all about how I make and shred my Instant Pot frozen chicken in this post!
You’ll also love my super simple Chicken Drumstick recipe! Dinner will be on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1, 9-12 ounce chicken breast fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce divided*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Ranch Seasoning (Use these ingredients, or 3 tablespoons prepared dry ranch seasoning mix)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- crackers, chips, cucumbers, celery sticks, carrot sticks, pretzels, etc.
- Place the chicken breast into the Instant Pot, along with water, 1/4 cup hot sauce, garlic salt, and soy sauce.
- Lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing, and cook on the meat/stew OR manual/pressure cook setting for 20 minutes. Allow a 15 minute natural pressure release, then remove the lid.
- Drain the cooking liquid into a separate container. Shred the chicken breast with two forks, or using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add reserved cooking liquid to the chicken in 1 tablespoon increments if it’s looking dry and needs some extra liquid. If you do not need the reserved cooking liquid, it can be discarded.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (cream cheese, cottage cheese or sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 cup pepper jack cheese, and ranch seasoning). Mix together until everything is combined and the cheese is melted. If needed, press the Keep Warm or Saute button to warm through the chicken.
- Top with remaining cheese and green onions and serve, or, if desired, transfer the dip into a greased casserole dish and cover with remaining 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese and broil for 2-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned. Top with green onions and serve.
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip with Precooked Chicken
- If your chicken is already cooked and shredded (about 2 cups worth), add all the ingredients into the Crock Pot and cook on low for 1-2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes until warmed through.
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip with Raw Chicken
- If you’re starting with a raw chicken breast, place the chicken, water, soy sauce, hot sauce, and garlic salt into the Crock Pot and let cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken is shreddable.
- Remove the cooking liquid and shred the chicken, then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, mix together, and cook on low for about 30-60 minutes or until everything is melted and heated through.
PRODUCTS WE LOVE
- You may add extra Frank’s hot sauce to the dip to taste. More sauce will make the dip spicier.
- The ranch seasoning ingredients may be used in this dip as written, or you may substitute with a prepared ranch seasoning mix.
- Top with bleu cheese crumbles, if desired.
- If your cream cheese is not softened, add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot after the chicken has been shredded (as written), then close the lid and press the keep warm button. Let sit for about 5 minutes or until the cream cheese is melted, then mix and proceed with the recipe as written.
- You may substitute prepared, shredded chicken in this recipe. Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
- I use my air fryer to broil my buffalo chicken dip. Cook on the highest temperature for 2-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.