Author: Lisa Childs
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend - at no additional cost to you! Thank you for supporting this blog!
I made pineapple ham AND cheesy potatoes at the SAME TIME in the Instant Pot for Easter! This one pot meal was so fun to make, and saved a TON of time by doing it together.
Add a salad and some fruit to make this a COMPLETE MEAL in about 35 minutes total. This recipe is a perfect small ham dinner for a family of 4-5 or so.
Instant Pot Ham
I’ve seen lots of mixed results when it comes to making a giant ham in the Instant Pot. Just remember that ham is already cooked, so you’re only using the Instant Pot to reheat.
I purchased a small ham for my little family (Me, Brett, and the two kidlets) and we have plenty of leftovers. I loved this small ham that made it so nice for smaller families like mine!
All I did to make the ham was pour pineapple juice, soy sauce, and a couple pineapple chunks right on top with brown sugar. Then, I added the cheesy potatoes on top.
This method is called POT IN POT cooking (like my one pot pork tenderloin and butternut squash mashed potatoes or Teriyaki Glazed Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes)
Instant Pot Cheesy Potato Casserole or Funeral Potatoes
In Utah, cheesy potato casserole is called “FUNERAL POTATOES” because they’re typically served at the luncheons after funerals.
Some people make them with cubed potatoes, but I personally love the shredded ones.
Mix up the shredded potatoes with some cream of chicken soup, sour cream, garlic powder, butter, and cheese for a simple and delicious side dish.
I LOVE these cheesy, gooey potatoes and have been known to make extra just so I can eat the leftovers for breakfast.
Small Easter Dinner
You don’t need a lot of ingredients to make this one pot meal that would be perfect for a small Easter feast.
I purchased this ham that was just over 2.5lb and it was enough for about 4-5 people! Ask your butcher if he has any smaller hams if you can’t find them in the store.
How to make Pot-in-Pot Ham and Potatoes
In the Instant Pot, halve the large piece of ham into two large pieces. I did more than that in the pictures, but I recommend keeping them together more.
Pour the pineapple juice, soy sauce, pineapple chunks, and brown sugar (in that order) over the ham. Set a trivet on top of the ham.
In a large bowl, add the frozen hashbrowns and butter, then microwave for about 1 minute to thaw.
Add the soup, sour cream, cheese, butter, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Stir it all up, then transfer to a greased, oven-safe 3 cup dish that will fit in the Instant Pot. I used my 3 cup Pyrex bowl. Just make sure you check to see it is oven-safe and fits before using!
Add some extra cheese on top, duh!
Cover the potatoes with foil, and place on top of the trivet.
Now, you’ll cook this whole thing for 20-25 minutes with a quick release. It’s that easy! After it comes out, it’ll be piping hot so be careful! I threw some crispy onions on top of my cheesy potatoes and broiled in the air fryer (400 degrees) for about 2 minutes. PERFECT!
Instant Pot Easter Feast
I made this ENTIRE meal in the Instant Pot! WHAT! Check out this post for a roundup of all my favorite Instant Pot Easter ideas!
Instant Pot Pineapple Ham & Cheesy Potatoes (One Pot Meal)
- 1 Ham 2.5-4.5lbs
- 2 T. Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Pineapples chunks if desired
- 3 Cups Thawed Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 Can 10.5 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Pepper
- In the Instant Pot, halve the large piece of ham into two large pieces.
- Pour the pineapple juice, soy sauce, pineapple chunks, and brown sugar (in that order) over the ham. Set a trivet on top of the ham.
- In a large bowl, add the frozen hashbrowns and butter and microwave for 60-90 seconds to thaw.
- Add the soup, sour cream, 3/4 of the cheese, butter, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Stir it all up, then transfer to a greased, oven-safe 3 cup dish that will fit in the Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining cheese on top, then cover with foil and place the bowl on top of the trivet.
- Lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing, then cook on manual high pressure for 20-25 minutes with a quick release. If desired, add buttered bread crumbs, crushed potato chips, or crispy onions on top of the cheesy potatoes and broil in the oven or air fryer until light and golden.
- Enjoy with a salad, fruit, rolls, and other vegetable side dishes for a complete meal.
Pingback: 17+ Instant Pot Holiday Dishes - Tried, Tested, + True